Does IT really stand for Irritability Target, or is it just me?

I don’t have a degree in any type of computer science or programming, or anything closely related to the field. I have, however, always sought to learn the basics of how computers work: a little on the hardware side, a little on the software side... a little knowledge really is a dangerous thing, especially since it has invariably landed me in the position of “go-to” person for anything computer-related just about anywhere I’ve ever worked. The main problems with this are:

1. I am not a computer EXPERT. I may or may not be able to solve your problem.
2. You came to me for help with your computer problem and I didn’t know the fix, and now the problem has become MINE to deal with.
3. The combination of my people-pleaser tendencies and my rampant insecurities make me completely unable to NOT take on your computer problem as my responsibility.
4. A while back, my boss actually made it official that ALL computer-related issues go to me and I deal with the various help desks and IT consultants alone. Because I “know something about computers”. Ugh.

I’ve had conversations about this with a few of my friends who happen to be IT people, two who are consultants and therefore deal with numerous different clients and one who manages the IT department for an entire hospital. They all say the same basic things. I need to get out! No, they don’t actually say that, but that’s what I infer from all the things they do tell me...

Well, never mind. I’ll leave it up to all the poor souls out there who have to deal with the job day in and day out to “fill in the blanks” with their war stories. But I’d like to end with a few of my favorite quotes concerning computers and their users. Enjoy!

"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone." - Bjarne Stroustrup

“The trouble with programmers is that you can never tell what a programmer is doing until it’s too late.” - Seymour Cray

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

"Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows."

"If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day; if you teach them how to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime."

"My software never has bugs. It just develops random features."

"The only problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes trouble shoots back."