Crime Doesn't Pay and Sometimes, Neither Does Law-Abidedness. Law-Abidingness? Law-Abidability? Wait... Law-Abidosity!

On my lunch break today, I decided to pick up a few things at Walmart.  On my way to the checkout, I grabbed some chewing gum.  The cashier asked if I wanted her to leave the gum out of the bag, but I told her to go ahead and put it in with the other items.  Then I paid and headed out the door.  As I’m putting the receipt in the bag, I happened to notice there were three items on it, and I knew I had four items in my bag.  On closer inspection, I discovered that she hadn’t actually rung up the gum so I turned around and went back to point it out to her.  Since she had other customers by this time, she thanked me and asked if I could take it over to the customer service desk.  I did, and proceeded to stand in line for several minutes before finally getting my turn.  I explained the situation to the girl behind the counter and paid for the gum.  At this point, I was now going to be five minutes late getting back to work, but that was okay, I thought, because I had a clear conscience, knowing I had done the right thing.

Then I get in my car and search everywhere for my sunglasses.  Nothing; I’d somehow lost them in the store and didn’t have time to go back to look for them.  Now this stupid gum has cost me $1.88, five minutes over on my lunch break, AND my sunglasses.  Oh well, I thought.  It was still the right thing to do.  So as I pulled out of the parking lot, I popped a piece of gum in my mouth.  It was yucky!  Are you kidding me?  I just spent $1.88, lost five minutes of work-time (and pay), and lost my sunglasses for icky gum???  Wrigley's is SO gonna hear about this...